Saturday, July 6, 2013

Learning Lessons

I was calculating the numbers and from June 3rd (the day I started Insanity) to June 24 (before I stopped due to vacation) I lost about 4.3 lbs, meaning that working just as hard and eating the same way I would lose  about 4 lbs every month which would mean another 20 lbs by the end of the year!

That is not okay. Not because the number is too low, but because I am quite overweight and would like to lose at least 2 lbs/week which is reportedly safe, any more is a bonus.

2 lbs/week = ~8lbs/month = 40 lbs by the end of the year.

Better but still too slow. The problem is that I am not sure if I am wrong in thinking I should be losing more or if I really should be losing more. I do know that 4 lbs is wayyy too low and slow for me in comparison to the work I'm doing which means something is wrong. I discussed before that I wasn't eating enough and now I'm eating about 1200 calories/day which should help. I want to start moving lower more quickly.

The other reason could be that I am not doing enough cardio. I need to burn 7000 calories/week to lose 2 an additional lbs. which is about 1000 calories burned through exercise/day which is...definitely doable. I don't want to overwork myself and start to hate exercise. I really like the results Insanity gave me in terms of inch loss and toning so I want to hit the Month 2 workout and do them as best I can but in addition to that I will do Couch 2 5K and the Hip-Hop Abs workout.

The only thing is, I don't know how many calories I will be burning accurately so I need to pick up a calorie counter.

I did my day 2 of Week 4 of Insanity today and it was difficult. I sweated a lot and really tried to push myself but I felt considerable weaker. I think I should be back to where I was pre-vacation by the end of the week but it's a bit disheartening and very eye-opening to realize how quickly you body can backslide if you don't continue to train. And, I'm definitely getting tired of the Month 1 videos but thankfully at the right time since this is the last time I'll be doing them for a while.

Anyway, part of my patience problem is watching shows like the Biggest Loser and Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition, because it makes you think that you, too, should be losing 20 lbs/week or at least like 7-10 lbs. You see these huge losses and don't realize that the contestants are eating less than a 1000 calories and are working out 6 hours a day and then getting skin surgery to get all sown up and tight because they lost it too fast - though, of course, if you have a lot of weight to lose you'll probably need a body lift. Hell, even I've thought about skin surgery or a tummy tuck once I lose it all - I have no idea how that'll all look. I'm most worried about my arms because I already have batwing arms/lunchlady arms pre-weightloss. I wonder what they'll look like after. I really hope to go into high gear - weight training-wise - once I hit 180-185. I definitely have a lot of fat to lose.

But really, I would looooove to lose 10 lbs a month. That would be awesome, but even 5 is good. I'm just happy to be losing. Thinking about it, getting down 20 lbs would be almost a 55 lb loss. That's crazy.

As I've said before, I would love to and am working to get down to 185 lbs. At this point that is only 20 lbs away. Doesn't seem like a whole lot, after all:

"Many drops make a bucket, many buckets make a pond, many ponds make a lake, and many lakes make an ocean."
Thinking that I have 45 lbs to lose seems like a lot, hell, 77.5 lbs seems even worse (!!!), but if I just think of it as 1 lb at a time, one drop at a time, things don't seem so bad. I just have to get down to 204.0 lbs. And, if I keep eating 1200 calories/day then the weight will come off regardless. Patience, Patience, Patience.


“You fill a bucket drop by drop. You clear your mind thought by thought. You heal yourself moment by moment. Today I make one drop, clear one thought, and get present to one moment. And then I do it again.”